Lake Sam Rayburn Campground, Cabin Rentals, and RV Park
KOA Brookeland is popular with Golden Triangle families visiting Lake Sam Rayburn.
The campground has lake access through Mill Creek and is close to popular destinations like Rayburn Country Club, Mill Creek State Park, Jasper, and more.
On a recent visit, our Southeast Texas Family experienced a perfect blend of relaxation and adventure.
Upon arrival, we were given a tour by a very friendly and accommodating staff, eager to share their KOA with visitors from around Texas – and around the world. On this visit, our neighbors were from England and kids and adults alike enjoyed getting to know each other better.
Our cabin was spacious, attractive, and super comfortable. There were two queen sized bed, a sturdy wooden bunk bed, and a full size loft bed the kids took turns sleeping in. We had a refrigerator and microwave, but we were happy to do most of our cooking on the fire ring outside. There was a nice size bathroom, and everything was super clean.
Within minutes of unpacking, our youngest had caught a three-pound bass in the pond that was located only a few steps from our front porch. Over the course of our visit, the kids would catch perch, catfish, and bass.
We did cook some enjoyable meals on the campfire: grilled fresh fish, chicken, pork chops, and Zummos. We also enjoyed some great local restaurants:
- The Stump has long been one of my favorites. Several years ago after duck hunting, the cook took our duck breasts and made a delicious meal for us. The food was as good as ever. We enjoyed chicken fried steaks, burgers, fish tacos, fried fish, and chicken fingers.
- Rayburn Country Club offers a refined touch to any visit. We enjoyed fresh guacamole, burgers, and fish tacos.
- The Cedar Tree in Jasper has been around a long time, and it is now housed in an attractive new building. They have a popular lunch buffet, and on the weekend they have a nice seafood buffet. Don’t miss the desserts.
- Hamburger Depot in Jasper. You may have been to one in Mid County, Lumberton, or Beaumont – Jasper is the original location. Come taste where it all began!
We’re a fishing family, so we enjoyed catching big bass on Lake Sam Rayburn (you can launch your boat at Mill Creek State Park or catch big bass right from the bank), fishing for big catfish below the dam, and we had a close encounter with a big striped bass (bring heavy tackle if they are your quarry). Sam Rayburn is also great for trotlines, jug lines, limb lines and “noodles”.
Other popular activities for our family and friends were exploring the hiking trails, riding bikes (Brookeland KOA has a number of cool children’s bikes available), talking with other families, and of course making s’mores.
Canoeing in Mill Creek was a highlight. In addition to great exercise and exploring, the kids took breaks to swim. In the clear water, you’ll see lots of fish and there are lots of great birding opportunities.
KOA Brookeland has something for everyone. You can camp by tent, RV, or go “glamping” in one of their great luxury cabins. They even have upscale tent camping with water and electricity (we’ve seen families with AC units in their tents). KOA Brookeland is pet friendly, and there is a 45 stall horse barn.
Don’t miss the crawfish boil on Memorial Day! This is the perfect introduction to this great Southeast Texas family getaway.
Minutes into our trip, we knew our kids would want to come back over and over. Yours will too.
505 County Road 212. Brookeland, TX. 75931
(409) 698-3422 or (800) 562-1612
Would you like help promoting your business, organization, or festival to East Texas and Golden Triangle families?
Our Southeast Texas Family Magazine is a great advertising resource.
Call with questions or to start your campaign.
- Daryl Fant, Publisher. Southeast Texas Family Magazine
- (512) 567-8068